|Organisation:||North Somerset People First|
|Location:||The Campus, Highlands Lane, Worle, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS24 7DX|
• We are recruiting volunteers to assist with our growing advocacy services. These include: Individual Person-Centred Planning • Individual Advocacy Casework • Helping to facilitate drop-in sessions where our members can access information on a range issues and signpost to appropriate services Our advocates can support people on a range of issues from filling in a form to get a bus pass, to helping with more complex issues and decisions which can impact on their lives. The amount hours needed depends on the piece of work that is undertaken Drop-in sessions require a couple of hours per month
We are currently recruiting volunteers to assist our Advocacy service at NSPF. Do you have a few spare hours a month to make a difference to someone’s life?
North Somerset People First (NSPF) is a charity that supports people with learning disabilities. Advocacy is helping someone get their views, needs and wishes across to others, to help them secure services and gain their rights. We aim to support individuals with learning disabilities on a broad range of issues. We also give information about rights and services so that people can make informed choices and decisions - this could be virtually on any issue.
The aim of self-advocacy is to reduce the isolation of people with learning disabilities and give them the tools and experience to take greater control over their lives.
Voices and choices of people with a learning disability are not always heard. As a result, major decisions may be made on their behalf, which can affect the rest of their lives.
We deliver this service to individuals by listening, empathising and encouraging them to express their views, by giving them information so that they can make informed choices and by remaining completely independent when liaising or negotiating on their behalf. The central principle of our advocacy work is service user empowerment and supporting individuals towards self-advocacy.
As a volunteer advocate with North Somerset People First there will be two key areas for involvement:
Individual Person Centred Planning –
• Meeting with individuals and other important people in their lives such as family members, friends, support workers etc.
• Talking to individuals about their needs, wishes and aspirations.
• Arranging meetings to devise an Individual Person Centred Plan, taking written notes and relaying these to North Somerset People First staff who will produce a typed document that can be presented to the individual at a subsequent meeting.
Individual Advocacy Casework –
• Working with individuals to address and resolve specific issues.
• This could include supporting people with specific concerns such as around housing, benefits and similar issues.
• As we develop this service you will have an opportunity to build a client caseload and there will also be the opportunity to acquire a formal qualification in advocacy.
We are a Learning Disability charity within North Somerset for people over the age of 16. We promote and encourage people to speak up for themselves, empowering them to be in control of their own lives, now and in the future.
Experience desirable of working or understanding people with learning disabilities
An understanding of Advocacy – Training will be offered to the right candidate
Passionate about supporting people
Promoting and encouraging independence
Committed to promoting equal opportunities
Good listening skills
Willing to challenge discrimination and prejudice
Reliable and committed
Good organisational skills
Ability to be calm when under pressure
Motivated and enthusiastic
Understanding and valuing individual uniqueness
Some common motivations and benefits for volunteering at NSPF include:
• Having fun!
• making a positive difference to other people and improving their quality of life
• sharing and learning new skills
• boosting a CV
• meeting new people
• Good references
Application form, Informal discussion, References, Information Day, DBS Check, Interview