|Organisation:||Citizens Advice North Somerset|
|Location:||The Foodbank, North Street, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS23 1QF|
Flexible commitment within the confines of board and committee meetings arranged to suit the majority.
Responsible to: Chair of Trustees
Purpose of Role:
• The Board of Trustees is responsible for the overall governance and strategic direction of Citizens Advice North Somerset (CANS);
• Trustees ensure the organisation meets the Citizens Advice membership requirements.
• To work in partnership with the Chief Officer to ensure the effective and efficient development, management and administration of CANS.
• To ensure CANS is reaching the needs of the whole community.
Each individual member of the trustee board has a responsibility to contribute to the discharging of the board’s duties.
Main Duties include:
• Ensure CANS complies with its governing document, charity and company law, Citizens Advice standards and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
• Actively contribute to setting policy and strategic direction, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance.
• Contribute to the sound financial management of CANS through regular monitoring of the financial position, including approving annual budgets, and monitoring progress against them, and approving the Annual Report and Accounts.
• To take reasonable care in the protection and management of the assets of the charity, and ensuring the proper investment of CANS’ funds in line with the objects of the charity.
• Act in the best interests of CANS at all times; safeguarding the good name and values of the organization.
• Prepare for and attend Board and Committee meetings as appropriate, providing advice and guidance in areas in which the trustee has special expertise.
• Participate in other tasks and projects as they arise, such as HR procedures, funding opportunities and assisting with fundraising and promotional activities.
• To keep up-to-date with the activities of CANS and the wider issues which effect its work.
• Represent CANS at external meetings and events as appropriate.
• A commitment to CANS and its objectives, and a willingness and ability to act in the best interests of the organisation.
• An understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
• A willingness to devote the necessary time and effort to trustee duties.
• Strategic vision and the ability to think creatively and exercise independent judgment.
• Good communication and inter-personal skills.
• An understanding of financial management of an organisation.
• The ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
• A willingness and ability to learn.
Terms of Appointment
• Trustee appointments will be made and reviewed in line with the organisation’s governing document.
• CANS is committed to supporting its trustees, and provides a thorough induction to the organisation and the role. Trustees will be expected to attend training events relevant to the role as necessary.
• The position of trustee is unpaid, although reasonable expenses are payable in line with CANS’ Expenses Policy.
• There are a minimum of 10 meetings a year comprising of 6 Board Meetings and 4 Committee meetings.
• Trustees must declare any conflict of interest whilst carrying out their duties
• Trustees are expected to maintain confidentiality about any sensitive or confidential data received in the course of their duties.
Eligibility – some people are disqualified by law from acting as a trustee, including:
• Anyone who has an unspent conviction for an offence involving deception or dishonesty.
• Anyone who is an undischarged bankrupt.
• Anyone who has been removed from trusteeship of a charity by the Court or the commission for misconduct or mismanagement.
• Anyone under a disqualification order under the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986.
• Anyone who has entered into a composition or arrangement with their creditors which includes an individual voluntary arrangement (IVA), and is currently on the Insolvency Service Register.
Citizens Advice North Somerset is an established local independent charity. Our vision is to improve the health and wellbeing of everyone living or working in North Somerset, by providing accessible, effective and tailored information and advice that is free, independent, confidential and impartial. We undertake research and campaign for change on issues that affect local residents. We believe our common humanity makes us equal in worth, dignity and rights. We value diversity, promote equality and challenge discrimination.
Through our advice we directly tackle the factors which lead to health inequality. Our clients experience low income and debt, fuel poverty, homelessness, domestic abuse, child poverty, disability and long-term health conditions; we exist to provide practical advice and support across the spectrum of social welfare issues.
What we are looking for people with experience of business, finance or charity trustee work with an empathy to our cause.
We would like to hear from people with a willingness to give a little of their time, experience and commitment and particularly anyone with up to date experience of Governance, Strategic Development, IT, Fundraising or Training. Additionally we are seeking a Treasurer to the Board with the relevant financial experience to oversee our finances.
Additionally we are specifically looking for a treasurer with:
• Financial qualifications or experience
• Some experience or knowledge of charity finance, fundraising and pension schemes
• The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences
• Preparedness to make unpopular recommendations to the board
• Willingness to be available to staff to provide advice and guidance on financial matters.
The benefits of working in a highly professional but friendly team that is securing the future of advice services in North Somerset. The role is challenging yet satisfying, onerous but accountable as part of a team with training and opportunities provided.
Application form, Informal discussion, Information Day, Interview, Taster session