|Organisation:||Reengage - Reading Friends|
This is a very flexible role with times to be agreed by the volunteers and the participants. The Reading groups are a new project for Reengage in partnership with the Reading agency. Initial recruitment focus is in Weston Super Mare and various venues have already been identified. The variety of locations and timings for group meetings are more flexible than our traditional tea parties offering greater opportunities for volunteers to get involved. The group sizes can be anything from 1-1 in an older person’s home. Through to large groups in public meeting places such as libraries.
Do you enjoy reading and chatting about books, magazines, or sharing stories and memories
Could you help connect people by starting conversations inspired by reading to start everyone chatting.
Be responsible for taking the lead in running the group, agreeing discussion topics with the members and liaising with Reengage Support/Development Officer regarding any issues or concerns.
Mission - To relieve the acute loneliness of elderly housebound people living alone, by taking them on a monthly outing to to read, share stories, interests and life experiences, meet new friends and have fun. We use reading – whether books, magazines, newspapers, or anything else – to start everyone chatting. Through small local volunteer-based groups.
Reengage is a national charity established in 1965 it supports people over the age of 75 who are experiencing loneliness and would welcome more company and the opportunity to socialise. Reengage has become a partner in the Reading Friends programme.
What do we do? Alleviate loneliness and help connect people by starting conversations inspired by reading. Who do we help? Isolated people normally over 75 When do we help? Any day of the week.
It works by running small monthly friendship groups. With volunteers either visiting an older persons home and read to them 1-1 or be part of a larger group where volunteers and participants meet in a variety of venues from private homes to public venues such as libraries.
The Reading groups are a new project for Reengage in partnership with the Reading agency. Initial recruitment focus is in Weston Super Mare and various venues have already been identified. The variety of locations and timings for group meetings are more flexible than our traditional tea parties offering greater opportunities for volunteers to get involved. The group sizes can be anything from 1-1 in an older person’s home. Through to large groups in public meeting places such as libraries.
What we are looking for
• Lead or actively contribute to group reading activities and facilitate conversation using reading materials as a basis for discussion.
• Make/assist with practical arrangements to identify and select suitable materials (books, newspapers, handling objects etc.) which focus on the groups’ interests.
• Prepare other resources as necessary (chairs, tea, coffee etc.) in advance of each session.
• Be aware of and sensitive to the needs of those in the group.
• Ensure everyone is able to contribute to the session and feels welcomed and involved.
• Lead or actively contribute to various book themed activities.
• Help to clean and tidy up following sessions where relevant.
• Contribute to the evaluation of the project as required.
• Feedback any issues or concerns to your Reengage representative.
• A friendly and approachable manner
• Good communication and listening skills with the ability to build rapport through conversation.
• A patient and sensitive approach and the ability to empathise with people.
• Reliable and trustworthy.
• A love of reading and the desire to share this with others.
• The confidence to read to others.
• An understanding of the need for confidentiality.
• Have the ability to cope with the duties and responsibilities of the role and the associated environment, including an understanding of health and safety and safeguarding (training will be provided) and the ability to deal calmly with an emergency.
• Able to follow guidelines/instructions.
• Initiative and the ability to work without supervision.
• Willing to learn new knowledge and skills.
Fun, laughter and the opportunity to make friends. A chance to make the difference to lonely and isolated older people in your community.
|Expenses:||Expenses (N.B It is good practise to reimburse out of pocket expenses) Out of pocket expenses for Lead Facilitators purchasing materials for sessions will be reimbursed to agreed limits on the production of receipts. We are unable to reimburse travel expe|
|Induction:||All volunteers will receive an induction and training. Your local Reengage representative will be available for support.|
|Insurance Cover:||Yes public liability insurance covered by Reengage|
|Offer:||Local Reengage representative will be available for ongoing support.|
|Training:||Online 1 hour training available at the start of joining|
|Other:||If you are volunteering as a driver a DBS check will be required. This will be arranged by reengage free of charge. Facilitator roles may require a DBS check dependent on the venue. We will request 2 references.|
Application form, Informal discussion, Taster session