|Organisation:||Samaritans of Weston-super-Mare and North Somerset|
|Location:||137A High Street, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS23 1HN|
This role is extremely flexible and involves doing one shift a week of approximately 3.5 hours and one overnight shift once a quarter of 4 hours. Shifts are bookable online and you can pick anytime that suits you.
To provide confidential emotional support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair, including those which may lead to suicide. To provide such support by telephone, face to face, email, letter, SMS and whatever other means of communication may be adopted by Samaritans.
• To provide confidential emotional support as above
• To uphold Samaritans Mission, Vision & Values & Policies & Procedures
• To complete regular volunteering duties with the branch, including overnight duties, as agreed
• To support fellow Samaritan volunteers during shared duties
Full training and ongoing training will be provided.
W-s-M Samaritans enables people in it's area and elsewhere who are experiencing feelings of distress or dispair, including those who may be at risk of suicide, to receive confidential, emotional support at any hour of the day or night in order to improve their emotional health and to reduce the incidence of suicide.
What we are looking for
• Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times
• To be able to actively listen without prejudice
• To be able to communicate clearly with callers and branch volunteers
• Ability to deal sensitively with all callers, including vulnerable people, those with mental health issues and children, as necessary
• Able to follow procedures and maintain systems
• Ability to recognise the need for support (in themselves and others) and to seek or provide support where necessary
• Awareness of own emotional triggers and can cope with own feelings
• Demonstrate an understanding and acceptance of Samaritans values
• Listening volunteers should be 18 or over upon completion of their training.
• A chance for personal development
• Access to a thorough training programme
• Contribute and share existing skills
• Develop new listening and communication skills you can use in all aspects of your life
• Meet new people from all different kinds of backgrounds and cultures
• Give something back to your local community
Application form, References, DBS Check, Interview