|Name:||Peer Mentor Volunteer - Type 2 Diabetes|
|Location:||Easton Community Centre, Kilburn Street, Bristol, BS5 6AW|
Volunteers will be required to give one-two hours per week (timings agreed ad hoc) to provide mentoring as well as a 1.5 hours a month for a group supervision session.
Are you living with Type 2 diabetes and want to help others? We need you!
We urgently need enthusiastic volunteers living with type 2 diabetes in North Somerset to join our amazing team of Peer Mentors.
As a peer mentor, you will receive full training and ongoing support, develop your knowledge of type 2 diabetes, be reimbursed expenses and meet other people living with type 2 diabetes.
You don't need to be an expert in diabetes and you don't need to have the perfect lifestyle. If you have been living with type 2 diabetes, have struggled to understand the condition, had setbacks and obstacles that have caused you to struggle on the way, you are ideal for this project!
To apply for this role, you will need to be:
Living with type 2 diabetes
Able to commit one hour a week to provide mentoring and attend a monthly supervision session
Applications close on Friday 1st October, so get in touch today!
Brigstowe’s vision is a world in which people living with HIV and other long term conditions live long and healthy lives, free from poverty, stigma, prejudice and discrimination. Brigstowe’s mission is to enhance the quality of life for people living with HIV and other long term conditions.
What we are looking for
• Be living with type 2 diabetes
• Ability to work in a non-judgement, non-confrontational manner
• To have an empathetic manner
• To have good time management skills
• An understanding of working with vulnerable adults is desirable
• Excellent and sensitive communication skills, verbal, listening and written
• Respect and commitment to diversity and equal opportunities
• An understanding of supporting people living with and affected by type 2 diabetes
• Knowledge of treatment
• Transferable skills such as confidence, communication, presentation skills, boundaries and confidentiality etc.
|Expenses:||Yes – approx. £6 for refreshments plus up to £10 for travel per mentoring session when face to face mentoring commences|
|Offer:||1-2-1 support from Peer Support Coordinator and monthly supervisions with fellow mentors.|
|Training:||Three day training given|
Application form, Informal discussion, References, DBS Check, Interview