|Name:||Youth Club Volunteer|
|Organisation:||Ups and Downs Southwest|
|Location:||YMCA, 2 Bristol Road Lower, Weston-super-Mare, North Somerset, BS23 2PN|
This opportunity is for a regular role. It will be the first and third Tuesday of each month 6 pm - 8 pm.
- Could you spare a couple of hours one evening a week?
- Are you encouraging, enthusiastic and energetic?
- Do you have good communication and/or additionally specialized communication skills such as Makaton?
- Do you have experience in supporting young people who have a special educational need?
If you have answered yes to ANY of these questions, please get in touch. We currently have openings for volunteers to gain experience in youth work at two locations – Sherborne and Weston-Super-Mare. You would be working alongside our qualified Youth Workers, helping to support the vibrant, energetic sessions.
The Youth Clubs:
Our youth clubs are funded by Children in Need and are open to young people aged 10-25 who have Down syndrome.
The Weston-Super-Mare club, where we need volunteers, is currently being held at The YMCA and runs on the first and third Tuesday of each month 6-8 pm.
The club provides a wonderful space for our people so that they can enjoy activities such as:
• Table tennis
• Board games
Alongside the above activities, we also have outside providers come to the sessions to do a range of activities. Recently, these have included:
• Taiko drumming
• Circus skills
• Martial arts
• Street dance
• Drama workshops
The sessions allow the young people to engage in new experiences, learn new skills and develop independence, alongside developing friendships.
A Down Syndrome charity supporting families, professionals and all those involved in the care and education of children and young people who have Down Syndrome. We cover Devon, Dorset, Somerset, North Somerset, Wiltshire and Bristol.
What we are looking for
• Enthusiastic and encouraging, open and friendly. (Essential)
• Some knowledge or experience of working with people with learning challenges/disabilities. (Desirable)
• Good communication skills. (Essential)
• Knowledge of/awareness of Makaton and alternative communication. (Desirable)
• Positive attitude (Essential)
• Sense of humour (Essential)
• Resilient (Essential)
• Can do attitude (Essential)
• Good time keeping (Essential)
• Reliable (Essential)
• Creative (Desirable)
By coming to volunteer for us we will be able to offer you:
• A range of learning opportunities
• Increased knowledge in special educational needs and youth work
• Help towards completing qualifications (for example D of E)
• Mileage costs
• Ups and Downs Southwest training
Please note that before you start as a volunteer you will need to complete our training course and have an enhanced criminal records check (Disclosure).
|Expenses:||We can pay mileage. We don’t expect there to be any other expenses.|
|Induction:||Full induction will be given|
|Offer:||A qualified youth worker will always be leading the session and can offer support|
|Training:||Will be given during induction period|
Application form, DBS Check, Informal discussion, References