|Organisation:||Homestart North Somerset|
Although we prefer trustees to live in the North Somerset area and have an office in Weston-super-Mare, many of our meetings are now held on Zoom and we hope to continue with flexible ways of working.
Home-Start North Somerset is a leading family support charity. We would like to recruit a volunteer Treasurer to support the work of the Board at a time when, following the pandemic, our services are in greater demand than ever.
We’re there for parents when they need us most: we help families struggling through challenging times, whether through depression, anxiety, isolation, disability, bereavement, illness or just feeling overwhelmed.
You will be helping set our strategic direction, as well as leading the financial oversight of the charity, including
• oversight of bookkeeping
• ensuring that staff are paid appropriately
• budgeting and forecasting annual spend
• provision of financial reporting to the board of trustees
• ensuring that applicable taxes are paid appropriately
• supporting fundraising activities including preparing budgets for grant applications
You will join a small, committed Board of Trustees with considerable management and social care experience. Our administrator will do most of the bookkeeping work with your oversight as necessary. We are both a limited company and a registered charity.
Our trustees work closely with staff to ensure the safe and sustainable running of the organisation. Normally the Board meets every six weeks and we currently have three sub committees (fundraising, operations and finance) which meet in between. Since Covid we have been meeting over Zoom. In future we will aim for flexible ways of working to continue the benefits of this approach but also to enjoy the social contact and opportunity to meet face to face, including with staff.
Home-Start North Somerset is part of a national charity. We recruit and train volunteers to help families with young children.
Our volunteers, are parents or grandparents themselves and support other parents by visiting them in their own homes for 2 - 4 hours each week. All kinds of families can find it hard to cope for all sorts of reasons, maybe because of illness or disability of a child or because of post-natal illness, bereavement or loneliness. At Home-Start we support any parent with at least one child under the age of five who asks for our help.
Our supported families, like our volunteers, come from all walks of life. At Home-Start we believe parents have a key role in creating a secure childhood for their children. It's just that sometimes they need a bit of help ... your help. Home-Start North Somerset is now recruiting volunteers to join our friendly team.
• demonstrable experience of financial management
• competent use of IT skills and ability to produce reports as necessary
• proven ability to communicate and explain financial information to stakeholders who do not have a financial background
• an interest in the organisation's cause and objectives
• qualified accountant with demonstrated legal awareness and knowledge
• knowledge and experience of charity fundraising and finance practices
• willing to act as the charity's ambassador to external bodies, funders and companies
• we are a small group of Trustees and welcome help across any of our activities, meeting volunteers, fundraising events, attending staff meetings. This is not essential but will probably enhance the enjoyment of the role.
Our current trustees come from a variety of backgrounds, but all have in common a passion for making a positive difference to local families’ lives.
We would prefer someone with knowledge of North Somerset and preferably living within easy reach of the area.
Our trustees find working with Home-Start very rewarding. Volunteering with us can also be helpful to those seeking to work in a number of related careers such as social work, health visitor, family support.